Thursday, July 28, 2011

Heel Cups Didn't Live Up to the Hype


A Note About Heel Cups/Lifts 

Heel cups are small plastic heel-shaped devices worn in the heels of shoes.  They raise the heel so that less stress is placed on an injured plantar fascia while walking and standing.  When I first saw a doctor for my plantar fasciitis, I tried heel cups for a while at his recommendation - I honestly don't remember for how long.  A few days? Weeks?  I found out later that this is a common first-line-of-defense recommendation doctors make.

I was not impressed.  They didn't help me beyond a tiny bit of pain easing in the beginning. 

If you do try heel lifts, I have this - perhaps obvious - advice to give:

  1. Don't wear just one heel lift.  Even if only one foot is affected by plantar fasciitis, wear a cup on each foot.  You don't want one leg higher than the other!
  2. Once your foot is healed up, there's no need to wear the heel lifts anymore.  I mentioned to a friend suffering from plantar fasciitis that my doctor had told me not to wear the heel lifts once I was healed up.  She'd been helped by heel lifts and her foot was all better, but she was continuing to wear them.  When I told her she probably didn't need them anymore, she stopped wearing them. Her pain didn't come back and she was a bit irritated with her own doctor, who had not mentioned she would not need the things forever.  (Of course, if your own experience or physician says otherwise, go with that!)

No comments:

Post a Comment