Thursday, July 2, 2015

Update for 2015

I just wanted to update everyone on what's been going on.  After that horrible episode of plantar fasciitis four years ago and using the Strassburg Sock to prevent reinjury - one of the biggest problems with PF - my feet are still going strong.  No plantar fasciitis pain.

I also have concluded some things that you might find relevant or might just dismiss, depending on whether you agree that diet can affect this kind of thing.

Around the time of my last bout with plantar fasciitis, I also discovered I was prediabetic.  The next year, I went on a low-carb diet.  I also did some research.  I discovered something fascinating:  people who have problems with blood sugar control are more prone to connective tissue injury and syndromes associated with connective tissues.  This means the injury of fascia, tendons, ligaments - the less-stretchy tissues that connect our muscles to our bones and joints. Such problems include:

  • Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
  • Plantar Fasciitis
  • Trigger Finger
  • Knee prolbems
I also realized that I had had ALL those problems.  It was a big wake-up call.  I learned from Dr. Bernstein's The Diabetes Solution that once you control your blood sugar, it helps prevent new such problems from arising, but the existing problems don't just go away.  They need therapy.

So I continued with trigger point therapy, stretching, and such when needed.  I don't know how much eating low-carb and controlling my blood sugars for three years has really helped my plantar fasciitis.  I do know that it just hasn't come back and I barely even get twinges of its coming back any more, where I used to get those twinges frequently, at which times I would do preemptive calf stretches and massages.

I have other health issues, but my plantar fasciitis is (knock on wood) currently no longer chronic, and for that I am very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment