Thursday, July 28, 2011

Taping My Foot - Results Were So-So


The first time I had plantar fasciitis, I worked in an office with a woman who had also had plantar fasciitis.  Her doctor had shown her how to tape her foot, and she showed me.  It involved running a base sheet of 2" sports tape along the rim or outside of the foot, then using 1.5" sports tape to cross around and over the arch, criss-crossing from forefoot to heel, creating an effective willy-nilly arch support system.  I taped my foot every day in the morning and removed the tape at night before bed.  I did it for many months.  I have no idea if it helped.

The next time I had a major bout of plantar fasciitis - this year - I tried taping my foot.  It was a very different experience.  My heel hurt so much by that time and was so inflamed that pressure on the side of the heel - not just when walking - was extremely painful.  The tape pressed against the heel so agonizingly that I never got to the point of trying to walk with it.  I just couldn't tolerate the tape.

So now I think that taping the foot is an okay substitute if you absolutely, positively can't wear insoles or get shoes with good arch support, and if your foot inflammation isn't too bad.  But I don't think it works all the time.  And I have no idea how much it really helps in the healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment